Celebrate Your Friendships with Nuknuuk
What is Friendship Day?
The International Day of Friendship was proclaimed in 2011 by the United Nations with the idea that friendship between peoples, countries, cultures and individuals can inspire peace efforts and build bridges between communities. On a more individual level, friendships are very important to our mental health and happiness. According to the Mayo Clinic, friendships can:
- Increase our sense of belonging, purpose and self-confidence,
- Support us through difficult times
- Help to prevent isolation and loneliness
- Give us joy and reduce stress
- Reduce risk of health problems and even increase longevity
With all of these potential benefits of finding and cultivating friendships, we wanted to take a closer look at how to meet new friends as well as how to show the people that we’re already close to that they are important to us and that we appreciate their friendship.
Forging new bonds: how to meet new people
Sometimes all that is needed to make new friends is to try something new or to look at our current activities a little differently. We often connect best with people who share the same interests as we do. To build new friendships, focus on a pass time that makes you happy (reading, gardening, painting, visiting museums, cooking, etc.) and join a class, group, volunteering association or community organization to meet people who enjoy the same activities as you. This can be a great first step in forging new bonds and in cultivating new friendships.
Happy Friendship Day: saying “I appreciate you”
International Friendship Day is the perfect time to let our friends know how much they mean to us and how much we appreciate them. Here are a few ideas of simple ways to celebrate:
- Send your friends a quick text to let them know what you love about them (their laugh, their smile, how they always remember your birthday, their generosity…)
- Plan a special activity to spend time together: a spa day, a walk in the woods, an afternoon meeting at your favorite coffee shop.
- Have your friends over for a friendship celebration cocktail. Try one of these recipes to share with your besties – we love the sparkling cherry rosé sangria and the frozen gin and tonic!
- Staying connected to friends who live far away can be difficult. Now that we’ve all become Zoom/FaceTime experts, this is the perfect time to slip on your Nuknuuk slippers from the comfort of home and reach out to long distance friends for a chance to let them know that even though they are far away, they are still important in your life.
- Treat your friend to sheepskin summer slippers by Nuknuuk. It's never been easier with our 15% OFF Friendship Day Sale!
Whether you plan something small like a quick call to say hello or something more elaborate like a Friendship Day party, we hope that you’ll take advantage of this special day to let those close to you know how important they are in your life. Wishing you all a very happy friendship day!